“A roof over your head” is one of the most essential parts of any building. Providing both protection and insulation, we wouldn’t do very well without them. You want to know that your roof will not only keep you warm and safe, but that it will do so for a long time—a roof is, after all, a big investment. Whether you’re working on a brand new home or wanting a new roof, you’ll eventually ask yourself: how long do roofs last? Below, we’ll help try to answer that question and give you some tips on making the most out of your roof’s time.
How Long Do Roofs Last?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer for how your roof should last. On average, they usually last between fifteen and thirty years. Certain roofs can last up to forty years! That brings us to one of the most important factors in how long a roof lasts: what type of roof it is.
- Asphalt shingles, the most common type of residential roofing in America, should last between fifteen and twenty years.
- Tile and slate roofing are extremely durable, lasting forty, even fifty years! These roofs are most common in the southwest but their popularity has spread.
- Flat roofs, no matter what the material, can last up to twenty-five years, but may last as little as ten. These roofs require more maintenance.
- Wooden roofs can last up to twenty-five years, but they, too, require more maintenance than most roof types.
However, well-built roofs of any kind won’t last very long if you don’t see to their health! Maintenance is another hugely important facet in extending your roof’s life. Here are some top tips to make your roof last as long as possible . . .
- Trim branches hanging over or near your roof. Branches touching your roof can scratch and damage them.
- Clean your gutters regularly. Clogged gutters prevent new rainfall from going anywhere but back up your roof. It can work its way under your shingles and cause roof damage.
- Have snow removed quickly. If you experience a heavy snow storm, call in a roofing professional as soon as possible to take care of your snow removal for you. This becomes especially important if you have a flat roof or wooden roof.
- Get your roof inspected! The best thing you can do for your roof is have a professional inspect it regularly—once a year is best. A roofing professional will tell you where your roof is strong and where it could use more work, so you know exactly what you need to maintain.
So, how long do roofs last? It really depends on the type of roof and, more importantly, how well they’re maintained. If you live in southwest Missouri and need help maintaining your roof, contact the professionals at Taylor-Made Roofing. With over 20 years of experience in residential and commercial roofing, Taylor-Made Roofing is a company that you can trust with all of your roofing needs. Our family-owned business offers quality services, a reassuring warranty, and free estimates. For more information, please give us a call at 417-326-8778 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!