When you’re new to home improvement projects, finding the right people to help you is essential. Learn how to choose a roofer, and you’ll get the right roofing professional for the job.
How to Choose a Roofer
You can do a lot to take care of your roof on your own, but some projects require an extra helping hand. Finding a qualified roofer is key to getting the work done right in these situations. Do you know how to choose a roofer?
Why Do I Need a Roofer?
Unless you’re an experienced roofer, getting some assistance with most roofing projects is a good idea. The following are just a few situations where you’ll be grateful for some qualified help:
- If a roofing job requires equipment or materials you don’t have, such as spray foam insulation, a roofer can supply them and will know how to use them.
- If the weather or other outside circumstances complicate an emergency roofing job, a roofer will know how to deal with those difficulties and still get the work done quickly.
- If you don’t feel safe or comfortable working on your roof, a roofer can ensure the work is done safely and correctly for you.
So, how can you find the help you need?
Get Recommendations from Neighbors
One of the best ways to get leads on a good roofer is from your neighbors. Before starting a project, ask your neighbors or homeowners’ association for their roofer recommendations. You can also check out review websites like Yelp and Google.
Check Their Paperwork
Once you have a few potential roofers to work with, it’s time to ensure they’re the right guys for the job. Avoid scammers and ensure they’re licensed by checking their license number with your state’s license board. You can also request proof of bonding or other insurance. Finally, it’s never a bad idea to ask for some references, especially from customers who had roofing projects similar to yours. If the roofers you are communicating with are hesitant to share this information, watch out! You may be dealing with scammers.
Ask the Right Questions
Once you’re confident that the roofing company you’re working with is licensed and legitimate, it’s time to determine if they’re the right company for you. Here are some questions you’ll want to ask before you put down a deposit on the work:
- What types of roofing do you install?
- What kind of experience do you have working with roofing projects like mine? Can you provide examples of your work?
- Will you do the initial inspection for free? How will it be documented?
- What are your policies for inclement weather or other issues impacting the project, and how do you ensure it will be done on time?
- Can you provide me with written estimates of all proposed work?
- How do you handle material disposal?
- How does payment work, and what kind of payment schedule do you follow?
If the answers to these questions sound good and their paperwork is in order, you probably have a good candidate for a roofer. However, it’s a good idea to go through this process with two or three candidates so you can compare their answers and select the best roofer possible.
Now that you know how to choose a roofer, don’t settle for anything less than the best. If you’re in Missouri, call Taylor-Made Roofing for all your roofing needs.
Are you worried you might need a new roof? If you live in southwest Missouri, contact Taylor-Made Roofing for all your roofing needs. Our experts can help you explore new roofing options, maintain an older roof, perform emergency repairs, complete tear-offs and recovers, and perform remodeling services. Our family-owned business offers quality services, a reassuring warranty, and free estimates. For more information regarding roofing options, ice dam prevention, and more, please give us a call at 417-326-8778 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!