Skylights add a little sunshine to any room, creating light, airy spaces with relatively easy installation. These energy-efficient, mood-boosting additions generate more light than windows, increasing your property value and adding a layer of aesthetic appeal. So how long do skylights last?
How Long Do Skylights Last?
Benefits of Skylights
Skylights have several benefits that make them a great addition to your home or office:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Unlike windows, skylights can be strategically placed anywhere on your roof. This flexibility allows for maximum natural light in a space, especially in home or office areas with limited windows to the outside world.
- Energy Efficiency: When properly placed, skylights can help dramatically lower your overall heating and lighting costs. Skylights use solar heat and natural light, both of which can help slash your utility bills and reduce your impact on the environment.
- Ventilation: More and more homeowners are choosing skylights that can be opened from the inside. This feature helps fill your home with fresh air.
- Privacy: Just like windows, skylights provide natural light – however, they add a degree of privacy that windows simply do not. Since most skylights are positioned near the roof of the home, they can be a great source of natural light in private areas like bathrooms.
Average Skylight Life Expectancy
So, how long do skylights last? A typical skylight lasts for between 8 and 15 years, depending on a few factors. First, the quality of the skylight will impact its overall lifespan – which is why we only use VELUX skylights. VELUX offers a variety of innovative skylight products and accessories at the highest quality. Improper installation can also shorten a skylight’s lifespan significantly. For that reason, it’s crucial to work with an experienced professional if you are installing or replacing a skylight. This helps prevent leaks, heat loss, and escalating energy bills.
Caring for Your Skylight
Once your skylight is installed, there are several measures you can take to help extend its lifespan:
- Avoid repairing leaks with sealer or caulk. Applying sealer or caulk can prevent a skylight from expanding and contracting as the weather changes, which could cause the skylight to crack or fracture over time.
- Clean your skylight regularly with water and a mild soap. You can also use a non-abrasive glass cleaner to remove any dirt or buildup. Just make sure to avoid using metal scrapers, which could damage the glass.
- Consider installing skylight blinds, which can help improve energy efficiency.
Replacing Your Skylight
Most skylights last for up to 15 years. At that point, it may be time to look into replacing your skylight. If you need to repair or replace your roofing system, that is by far the most convenient and affordable time to replace your skylights. Keep in mind that some roofers will try to cut costs by salvaging worn-out skylights during roof repairs or replacements. Double-check that your roofer plans to install new skylights when they install your new roof to save yourself a headache – and a lot of money – down the line.
So, how long do skylights last? The typical skylight will last for between 8 and 15 years. However, proper installation and skylight care can keep your skylight functioning well for even longer.
If you live in southwest Missouri, contact Taylor-Made Roofing for help with your skylight or roof. Our experts can help you explore new skylight or roofing options, maintain an older roof, perform emergency repairs, complete tear-offs and recovers, and perform remodeling services. With over 20 years of experience in residential and commercial roofing, Taylor-Made Roofing is a company that you can trust with all of your roofing needs. Our family-owned business offers quality services, a reassuring warranty, and free estimates. For more information regarding roofing options, please give us a call at 417-326-8778 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!